Average life span of Presa Canario is 10-12 years but there are also some lucky people whose dogs made it till even 15-16 years old, unfortunately it’s not the norm and doesn’t happen as often as we would wish for.
How to make your Presa Canario dog live longer?
- choose a well breed dog from breeder who have his dogs functional, of good structure and good health. Well breed dogs have more chances to go through life easier and suffer from less problems (good functional structure helps to prevent injuries and contusions). Don’t follow some trends chasing bigger and bigger dogs. Smaller dogs tend to live longer and healthier lives.
- keep your dogs diet healthy, choose good quality food and don’t over feed your dog. Obese dogs will have more health problems than dogs in good weight and shape. Find a diet that fit’ your and your dog lifestyles, there is not one answer to question what diet will be best. We feed raw and suplement with good quality kibble when they grow adding vitamin C and probiotics. Lean dogs tend to live longer according to studies.
- keep your dog active, take long hikes and let your dog have fair amount of outdoors time. Environment also shapes dogs body. At the same time do not overwork your dog, especially when it’s still growing. Use exercises appropriate for dogs age.
- Stimulate your dogs mind and body it helps to reduce stress levels and bust endorphins. Train, learn your Presa Canario new tricks, keep enrichment toys making alone time more fun. Find a local training club, search through kennel clubs what type of fun activities they offer and try some of all kind of available sports.
- Make yearly wellness exams at your vets office. Make a full blood work, fecal test, urine test. Before starting more extreme activities x-rey your dogs joints – hips and elbows. Have your dog well groomed – healthy teeth, trimmed nails, heart worm, tick and flee preventives. Clean ears and give them bath only when needed. Visiting your vet for those routine check ups might help to find a problem before it starts to be a problem.
- Learn your dog food culture, not eating fast and not to swallow everything in one move. Don’t exercise them before an after their meal (at least an hour). One of problems with big dogs is gastric torsion known as bloat or GDV (gastric dilatation-volvulus) – cause hasn’t been determined yet but it’s believed keeping healthy diet and avoiding exercises before and after meal helps to prevent bloat. Do not use elevated dog bowls.
Latest posts by Ewa Ziemska (see all)
- The Character of the Presa Canario – by Paloma Iglesias Sanz - 29 January 2020
- History and Theories Surrounding the Origin of the Presa Canario - 29 January 2020
- Year 1997 – the Current Profile of the Presa Canario - 29 January 2020