MY FIRST CONTACT WITH THE PRESA CANARIO
In 1992, I had my first opportunity to see A Presa Canario working.
I always liked the dogs with especially gifted for the guard and defense tasks. I had already had several races, but they don´t like me a lot because they were very barking or too quiet or too much dominant with the family.
I was working training dogs and they worked well, but something was missing.
I was at the club working for long time and one day a guy came with a presa Canario with Cinnamon hair, so stubborn, I didn´t notice anything different, but when I saw working this dog, Cinnamon was her name, she impressed me, I had seen many dogs working but none like cinnamon.
The change was impressive when he started working. was like a volcano erupting with a big bite and a spectacular fortress.
From that moment I said that race was the one I was looking for. I contacted one guy, we talked about this race and he told me their experiences with the Presa Canario and we became friends, because we had several things in common.
After a while I could get an adult male and later I got a female, granddaughter of Cinnamon. Since then I don’t have another race to guard and defend, just PRESA CANARIO.
SELECTION PRESA CANARIO:
I think that the selection of the Presa Canario should be on its character and functionality.
We need only to cross dogs that:
1) They are noble with the family, I meant not the cousin who comes twice a year to visit us, or the neighbour, I meant people who lives with the dog.
2) They are strong nature and good physical and mental state.
3) They are distrustful with strangers, not scary.
4) They are free of dysplasia and diseases.
5) They have to be physically functional.
6) They have a strong character.
7) They have a strong structure.
8) They have a proper mouth.
We all know that the dogs aren’t machines and that the dogs of a litter aren´t equal, but if we select our Presa by the character and functionality, every day we will get more efficient dogs and we´ll enjoy more with our Presa.
EDUCATION PRESA CANARIO:
Presa can come from the best families or best breeders, but what you need to know is that a dog should be educated and tried. if not, we will never know what we have.
There are dogs that look wonderful but they are not and there are others who do not look good and they do.
- Old photos of Presa Canarios - 14 February 2020
- The Character of the Presa Canario – by Paloma Iglesias Sanz - 29 January 2020
- History and Theories Surrounding the Origin of the Presa Canario - 29 January 2020